“Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds.” – American Navy SEAL Team saying
Coaches are the heart of every team and play a pivotal role in helping their team to ‘beat the odds’ in any rugby game. Adam Robertson, an East London rugby coach, attended our academy as a school-level coach in 2010, hoping to take his rugby coaching to the next level. In the years since, the results speak for themselves with five of his former players being selected for the SA Schools Squad this year.
“At first, I was apprehensive about the benefits as a primary school coach, thinking that it would be way too advanced for the age group of kids that we work with but that wasn’t the case at all. They emphasised the importance of not rushing the process and building on kids’ knowledge with small add-ons. It also served as a good platform for coaches of all levels to keep a platform of communication open, long after the course,” says Adam.
Our Coaches’ Courses offer an intensive 5-day training that affords coaches the insight needed to better coaching skills and techniques, regardless of the level they are on. Working side-by-side rugby legends such as Murray Mexted, Dick Muir, John Smit, André Pretorius, Ian MacDonald, Ian McIntosh and many more, you are sure to get the professional edge you need.
Our 5-day Players’ and Coaches’ Course line-up includes:
- Goal setting
- Fitness assessments – looking at aerobic fitness and flexibility
- Fitness assessments – looking at speed and strength
- Daily skills
- Rugby intelligence
- Recovery regimes – from theoretical and practical perspectives
- Injury prevention and treatment
- Feedback and one-on-one from fitness trainers about current and future programme
- Kicking skills, passing skills, forwards’ skills, backs’ skills
- Team patterns
- Position-specific coaching
- Position-specific assessment
- Match coaching and techniques
- Video analysis of game time – feedback is given from position-specific coaches
- Speed and conditioning
- One-on-one feedback
If you’re a school rugby coach, like Adam, looking for an opportunity to expand your career and take your coaching to the next level, be sure to join our upcoming Coaches’ courses from 13 to 19 December at St Charles College, Pietermaritzburg.