In keeping up with the times, the game of rugby is progressing with technology to provide fans with even more insight into their favourite teams. Today, the best way to stay informed, track your progress and make sure you catch every game is on your phone. There are many useful apps that rugby-mad players, coaches and fans can use – we outline a few below.
Top Six Free Rugby Apps
1. Springbok – an app designed specifically for green and gold fans. Stay up-to-date with match scores, summaries, statistics and bios (dating from 1891), book your match tickets and enjoy the latest news and galleries from the Springboks. Rated at 4.2 out of 5 stars, this app is only available on the Play Store.
2. Ultimate Rugby – renowned internationally as a source of news, live scores and information about your favourite players. Personalise the information you get by selecting news from your favourite competitions, teams and players. This app covers news from 6 Nations, The Rugby Championship, Heineken Cup, Super 15, RaboDirect Pro12, Aviva Premiership, Currie Cup and the Lions Tour, and allows you to share your opinions in worldwide discussions. It is rated 4.2 out of 5 stars and is available on iTunes and the Play Store.
3. Rugby Live – if you prefer to track the Super Rugby’s performance, then this is the app for you. Follow every game with advanced game, team and player statistics, team overviews, player profiles and comparative analysis of past players and teams. Rated 4.1 out of 5 stars, this relatively new app is available on iTunes and the Play Store.
4. Rugby Training – get into peak fitness and condition with a complete training programme. Offering basic and advanced exercises to enhance your fitness and strength for the game, the app is rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars and is only available on the Play Store.
5. Rugby Board – great for coaches looking for a modern way to share game tactics with their teams. Create an animated strategy and share this easily with your players so that they understand the play and can practice it. Rated 3.8 out of 5 stars, this app allows you to customise your field size and lines. Only available from the Play Store.
6. Rugby Nations 16 – for those who can’t get enough of the game, this app provides even more game time with 3D visuals that simulate live games. You play with the international and club teams of your choice and control every move with ease. A popular game worldwide, rated at 4 out of 5 stars and is available on iTunes and the Play Store.
We’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences with these apps and others, simply post your comment on social media using #RugbyApps. Let’s find the best apps for rugby lovers in South Africa together!