Our December courses start tomorrow and we are so excited to work with South Africa’s up and coming players and passionate coaches! One of the greatest aspects of rugby is how diversity is an advantage to the game. Recognising that each player is different, we ensure that we address all aspects of the game to guarantee that all players get to focus on their weaknesses.
“Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” Malcom X – Human Rights Activist
Our line-up of former and current Springbok players and coaches are equally as diverse as the players that attend our high performance, week-long courses. We celebrate diversity by ensuring that we provide position-specific coaching for players, enabling them to understand their role within the team and fine-tune their individual skills.
Get to know a few of our regular position-specific coaches:
• John Smit (Prop/Hooker) – Most-capped Springbok and 50th Captain.
• Stefan Terblanche (Wing/Centre/Fullback) – Former Sharks and Springbok player.
• Hentie Maartens (Scrumhalf) – Played for the Border Bulldogs, Sharks and Springboks.
• Braam van Straaten (Flyhalf/Centre) – former Springbok, Australian kicking coach and current Sharks coach.
• Jacques Botes (Flank/No. 8) – Played for the Pumas Sharks, Barbarians an Emerging Springboks.
• André Pretorius (Flyhalf) – Played for the Springboks, Sharks, Leopards and Springboks.
Aside from the physicality of the game, mind-set, attitude, mental toughness and behind-the-scenes training are equally as important to the game. The ability to find opportunities, make quick decisions, work as a team and execute under immense pressure goes hand-in-hand with these mental attributes.
Among our coaches are specialists emphasising the importance of these aspects are:
• Mark Steele – Well-known conditioning coach
• Murray Mexted – Former All-Black player and mental toughness coach
• Ruan Fourie – Former Lions and Sharks physiotherapist
• Tim Goodenough – Renowned meta-coach
Make the most of the opportunity by coming with an open mind, humble attitude and a yearning to learn!